Monday, July 16, 2007

Week Five!

Coming into this summer, I had the mindset that no week of camp would ever compare with my senior high cabin last year. Boy was I wrong! This week turned out to be the most incredible week ever, and I'm still excited about all the things that happened!

One of the things that made my cabin so special was the fact that the guys were so diverse in their personalities and attitudes. Normally I might have thought that was a bad thing, but it turned out to be really cool. Not only did they all act differently, but each guy was able to use his strengths to complement another's weaknesses, creating a very unified cabin unit.

One of my guys was very shy and sheltered, and he said about two words to me on Monday. Throughout the week I really saw him come out of his shell and open up to me. By Friday, he and I were carrying on conversations and he would actually approach me and start a conversation, whereas earlier in the week I had to beat a sentence out of him (not literally :) ).

Another one of my guys actually ended up in my cabin by accident. I was supposed to have a different guy, but he had been with Chase earlier this year during junior high week, so he had just put his stuff back in the Dudes instead of coming with me. So, Chase sent one of his guys over to me. He was a really neat kid. Mentally, he probably had the mentality of about a 3rd grader, but he was so excited about everything and he always wanted to hang around me. He was a constant encouragement to me, and while it was frustrating that he couldn't quite understand the gospel, it was still great to see his spirit and attitude throughout the week.

Three other guys made some huge commitments to get rid of some sin in their lives, which was just awesome. I know that they truly want to change and I just pray that they'll keep the fire burning back home that they had here at camp. I remember how hard it was to make decisions at camp and then try to keep them after I had left, but I have confidence that God will give them the strength to resist the temptation and live whole-heartedly for Him.

Another huge praise was that two guys in my cabin got saved! After talking with one of them on Tuesday, it came out that though he tried to do good things, he really didn't know whether he was going to heaven. He was so excited to find out that he could know for sure that He could have a relationship with Christ and go to heaven when he died. The other boy got saved on Friday when, after talking for a little bit, he flat out told me that he didn't think he was saved. Well, needless to say he too wanted to have a relationship with Christ and know for sure he was saved. Praise God!

This weekend was also absolutely amazing. It was Refocus Weekend, which meant that the entire staff had to be here, so it was a great time of fun and fellowship. On Saturday after the staff meeting several of us went on a rugged trail ride, which was a lot of fun. Later that afternoon we did the Dangle Duo and then after supper we all watched a movie in the Dining Hall before doing paperwork for the rest of the night.

Then yesterday we pretty much hung out all day. It was a good time to relax and get to know some of the staff a little better. We ordered something like 18 pizzas, and then after supper we played Family Feud before heading to the counselor meeting.

Things to pray about:

Health: Yep, that's right, I'm sick again. I can't believe that this is my third cold of the summer!

Adjustment: Going from Senior High to Juniors is definitely not the ideal age jump. Pray that I'll be able to adjust and not pull my hair out.

Safety: As the summer has progressed I've come closer and closer to injury several times. Pray that I'll be able to have fun but stay safe at the same time.

No comments: